Reconciling is a great way to make sure that both Goodbudget and your bank has an accurate record of what happens each month. If you're missing transactions in Goodbudget, or if there are fraudulent charges on your bank statement, reconciling your Accounts will let you know.
Choose an Account to reconcile
- Click on the Account you want to reconcile,
- Then click the "Reconcile" link at the top right of the page.
Enter the date and ending balance of the statement
Here you can enter the date and ending balance you see on your bank statement. The "Previous Balance" will be pre-filled with the "Ending Balance" of your previous reconcile. If this is the first time you've reconciled this Account leave the "Previous Balance" as 0.
Compare your bank statement with Goodbudget
Go down your bank statement and compare each transaction to Goodbudget's counterpart.
- If the manually entered transaction matches your bank statement, mark it as "cleared" by checking the box next to it.
- If a transaction is missing from Goodbudget, click on the "Add Transaction" above to add it.
- When you're done, your "Cleared Balance" should match your "Statement Balance." When that happens, click on "Finish" to complete your reconcile. You may need to edit some transactions in Goodbudget, or add missing transactions to get your records to match.
If the Goodbudget transaction does not match your bank statement, check to see which record is correct. You can edit the Goodbudget transaction by clicking on it. If there is a mistake on your bank's records, contact them.
If you have more questions, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll be glad to help!